EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera
Type Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera with built-in flash
Recording Media SD/SDHC/SDXC card, via external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, or via Wireless LAN (Eye-Fi card*))
*Canon cameras are not guaranteed to support Eye-Fi card functions, including wireless transfer. In case of an issue with the Eye-Fi card, please consult with the card manufacturer. The use of Eye-Fi cards may not be approved in all regions, or from one region to another; please contact the card manufacturer for status of approval in the country/region of use.
Image Sensor Size Approx. 22.0 mm x 14.7 mm
Compatible Lenses Canon EF lenses including EF-S lenses (35mm-equivalent focal length is approx.1.6x the lens focal length)
Lens Mount Canon EF mount
Type High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
- Effective pixels: Approx. 12.20 megapixels
- Total pixels: Approx. 12.60 megapixels
Pixel Unit 5.15 µm square
Aspect Ratio 3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
Color Filter System RGB primary color filters
Low-pass Filter Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor. Fluorine coating on the top surface.
Dust Deletion Feature
- Manual cleaning
- Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
- The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
- Self Cleaning Sensor Unit not included.
Recording Format Design rule for Camera File System 2.0 and Exif 2.30
- Still: JPEG, Lossless RAW (14 bit Canon original)
- Video: MOV (Image data: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM)
Simultaneous Recording Provided (RAW + JPEG)
- Large: Approx. 12.20 Megapixels (4272 x 2848)
- Medium: Approx. 6.30 Megapixels (3088 x 2056)
- Small: Approx. 3.40 Megapixels (2256 x 1504)
- S2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
- S3: Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
- RAW: Approx. 12.20 Megapixels (4272 x 2848)
Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
File Numbering Consecutive numbering, auto reset, manual reset
Color Space sRGB, Adobe RGB
Picture Style Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
Recording Functions Images record directly to the SD card. Creating new folders and selecting folders in the card possible
White Balance Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Custom (Custom WB)
Auto White Balance Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
- White balance correction: ±9 levels
- White balance bracketing: ±3 levels in single-level increments
- Blue/amber direction or magenta/green direction possible
Color Temperature Information Transmission Provided
Type Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentamirror)
Coverage Vertical/Horizontal approx. 95% (TD)
Magnification/Angle of View Approx. 0.8x / 22.4° (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (dpt))
Eyepoint Approx. 21 mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
Built-in Dioptric Adjustment Adjustable from approx. -2.5 to ±0.5 m-1 (dpt)
Focusing Screen Fixed
Mirror Quick-return half mirror (transmittance: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
- AF information (AF points, focus confirmation light)
- Exposure information (Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning)
- Flash information (Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light)
- Image information (Highlight tone priority, Monochrome shooting, maximum burst, white balance correction, SD card information)
Depth-of-Field Preview No depth-of-field preview button (Enabled with C.Fn-8-5 and pressing SET)
Type TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
AF Points 9-point all cross-type AF (f/5.6 at center: Dual Cross Sensor)
AF Working Range EV 0 – 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
- One-Shot AF
- Predictive AI Servo AF
- AI Focus AF (Switches between One-Shot AF and AI SERVO AF automatically)
- Manual focus (MF)
AF Point Selection Modes
- Manual selection
- Auto selection
Selected AF Point Display Indicated by superimposed display in the viewfinder and on the LCD monitor
- Intermittent firing of built-in flash
Effective range: Approx. 4 m/13.1 ft at center, approx. 3.5 m/11.5 ft at periphery
- With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, the Speedlite's AF-assist beam is emitted instead.
- Compatible with 320EX, 270EX II and 270EX AF-assist beam (intermittent flash firing).
Metering Modes 63-zone SPC TTL metering with selectable modes
- Evaluative metering (linkable to all AF point)
- Partial metering (approx. 10% of viewfinder at center)
- Center-weighted average metering
Metering Range EV 1.0 – EV 20.0 (at 73°F/23°C with EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)
- Program AE (program-shift possible)
- Shutter-priority AE
- Aperture-priority AE/li>
- Manual exposure
- Automatic depth-of-field AE
- Full Auto
- Flash Off
- Creative Auto
- Program AE with ambience selection
E-TTL II autoflash program AE
- Evaluative metering, averaged metering
ISO Speed (Recommended Exposure Index) Auto, ISO 100 - 6400 (in whole-stop increments)
- In Creative Zone modes, the maximum ISO speed (ISO 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400) for ISO Auto can be set
- With C.Fn-5-1 (Highlight tone priority), ISO 200 or higher will be set
- No ISO speed expansion
- Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- AEB : ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- Auto AE Lock: Applied in One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering when focus is achieved
- Manual: By AE lock button
Type Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically controlled.
- Electronic 1st curtain. Only 2nd curtain mechanically controlled.
- 1/4000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec.
1/4000 to 30 sec., Bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
- Settable in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
Shutter Release Soft-touch electromagnetic release
Self-Timer 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
Shutter Lag Time
- During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.11 sec.
Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.18 sec.
- Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3 stops or less. Excludes AF operation time.
Type Auto pop-up, retractable, built-in flash in the pentaprism
Flash Metering E-TTL II autoflash (Evaluative, Average), FE lock
- Approx. 9.2/30 (at ISO 100 in meters/feet)
- Approx. 13/43 (at ISO 200 in meters/ feet)
Recycle Time Approx. 2 sec.
Flash-ready Indicator Flash-ready icon lights in viewfinder
Flash Coverage Up to 17mm focal length (equivalent to approx. 28mm in 135 format)
Flash Exposure Compensation Up to ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- Flash exposure compensation for built-in flash and Speedlite can be set with the camera.
FE Lock Provided
Remote Control Compatible with Remote Switch RS-60E3. There is no wireless remote control sensor.
Accessory shoe: X-sync contact
- Flash sync at 1/200 sec. or slower
- No PC socket
Flash Metering E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering), FE lock
Flash Exposure Compensation ±2 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments
Menu Setting Operation [Flash control] setting possible with Speedlite 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II or 270EX.
External flash function setting
- Flash firing, Flash mode, sync setting, FEB, flash exposure compensation, ETTL II, zoom, and wireless function can be set.
- With EX-series Speedlites other than the above, flash firing, flash exposure compensation, and E-TTL II flash metering can be set. (Certain EX-series Speedlites also enable the flash sync to be set.)
- External flash C.Fn setting
- Single shooting
- Continuous shooting
- 10-sec. self-timer
- 2-sec. self-timer
- Continuous shooting after 10-sec. self-timer (2 to 10 shots)
Continuous Shooting Speed (Approx.)
- JPEG: Max. approx. 3.0 fps
- RAW: Max. approx. 2.0 fps
RAW+JPEG: Approx. 0.8 fps (averaged value)
- When the image-recording quality is JPEG, continuous shooting is possible until the 4GB SD card (Canon standard test card) becomes full. However, if you use an SD card whose writing speed is slower than our test card or if the file size is larger than our standard test image, you might not be able to shoot continuously until the card becomes full.
- With RAW+JPEG Large/Fine, "BUSY" will be displayed. However, continuous shooting is possible at approx. 0.8 fps (averaged value).
* Based on Canon's testing standards with a 2GB CF card, high-speed continuous shooting, ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style
* Varies depending on the subject, SD card brand, image-recording quality, ISO speed, drive mode, Picture Style, etc.
Live View Functions
Shooting Modes Still photo shooting and video shooting
- Manual Focus
Metering Modes Real-time Evaluative metering with image sensor
Metering Range EV 0 – EV 20 (At 23°C/73°F, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
- Grid 1: Pair of vertical and horizontal lines
- Grid 2: 5 vertical and 3 horizontal lines
Exposure Simulation Provided
Silent Shooting Not provided
File Format MOV (image data: H.264; audio: Linear PCM (monaural))
File Size Approx. 222 MB/min.
Recording Size 1280 x 720 (HD)
Frame Rates 30fps (29.97), 25fps
Continuous Shooting Time Approx. 17 min.
Focusing Autofocus: Quick mode, Live mode, Face Detection Live mode; manual
Exposure Control Movie Program AE
- The ISO speed, aperture, and shutter speed (signal-accumulation time ranging from 1/30 sec. to 1/4000 sec.) are set automatically.
- Movie shooting in Tv, Av, or M mode is not possible.
Exposure Compensation ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
Type TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
Monitor Size 2.7-inch (Screen aspect ratio of 4:3)
Dots Approx. 230,000 dots (320 x 240: QVGA)
Coverage Approx. 99%
Viewing Angle 170°
Brightness Adjustment Adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
Interface Languages 25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean and Japanese)
Single image display
- Single image, basic information, detailed information, histogram display
- 4-image index and 9-image index
Jump display (Image jump w/ Main Dial)
- 1/10/100 images, shooting date, by folder, movies, stills, rating
Display Conditions Images saved in Design rule for Camera File system format.
Highlight Alert On the detailed information and histogram displays, highlight areas with no image data will blink.
Quick Control Function
During Shooting When you press the Quick Control button under the following conditions, you can set the functions below (The settable functions depend on the shooting mode):
With viewfinder shooting:
- Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, exposure compensation, AEB, flash exposure compensation, Picture Style, white balance, Auto Lighting Optimizer, raise built-in flash, AF mode, drive mode, metering mode, and image-recording quality.
With Live View shooting:
- AF mode, drive mode, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer, image-recording quality, ISO speed and raise built-in flash (with C.Fn 9-1).
With movie shooting:
- AF mode, white balance, Picture Style, and Auto Lighting Optimizer.
During Playback When you press the Quick Control button during playback, you can set the functions below:
Image protect, image rotate, rating, and image jump w/Main Dial
* Movies cannot be rotated.
Image Protection & Erase
Protect Erase protection can be applied/canceled for a single image, all images in a folder, or all images in the card.
Erase Erase single image, erase selected images, erase all images on folder, erase all images in a card, or erase only unprotected images.
Compatible Printers PictBridge-compatible printers
Printable Images JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
- RAW images printable
- Movies cannot be printed
Digital Print Order Format
DPOF Version 1.1 compatible
Custom Functions 10 Custom Functions with 32 settings settable with the camera
Custom Controls (camera controls/buttons customization) Not provided
Camera User Settings Not provided
My Menu Registration Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered.
USB Terminal Hi-Speed USB-standard mini-B terminal for personal computer communications and PictBridge.
HDMI mini OUT Terminal
- Type C (Switches automatically to suit the resolution)
* Switches automatically to 1, 2, 3, or 4 to suit the TV.
Remote Control Terminal Compatible with Remote Switch RS-60E3
Eye-Fi Card Compatible
* Canon cameras are not guaranteed to support Eye-Fi card functions, including wireless transfer. In case of an issue with the Eye-Fi card, please consult with the card manufacturer. The use of Eye-Fi cards may not be approved in all regions, or from one region to another; please contact the card manufacturer for status of approval in the country/region of use.
Battery Battery Pack LP-E10 x 1
* With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E10, AC power is possible.
Battery Life Number of shots (approx.):
Shooting Conditions: No Flash
- At 73°F/ 23°C - Approx. 800
- At 32°F/ 0°C - Approx. 750
Shooting Conditions: 50% Flash Use
- At 73°F/ 23°C - Approx. 700
- At 32°F/ 0°C - Approx. 650
Live View Shooting
Shooting Conditions: No Flash
- At 73°F/ 23°C - Approx. 240
- At 32°F/ 0°C - Approx. 230
Shooting Conditions: 50% Flash Use
- At 73°F/ 23°C - Approx. 220
- At 32°F/ 0°C - Approx. 210
- At 73°F/ 23°C - Total: 1 hr. 50 min.
- At 32°F/ 0°C - Total: 1 hr. 30 min.
The figures above are based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) testing standards
- Automatic battery level check when power is turned ON.
- Battery level indicated in one of four levels on LCD monitor.
Power Saving Provided. Power turns off after 1, 2, 4, 8, 15 min.
Date/Time Battery Built-in secondary battery. When fully-charged, the date/time can be maintained for about three months.
* Recharge time for backup battery: Approx. 8 hours
Startup Time Approx. 0.1 sec. (Based on CIPA testing standards)
Dimensions & Weight
Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 5.1 (W) x 3.9 (H) x 3.1 (D) in./ Approx. 129.9 (W) x 99.7 (H) x 77.9 (D) mm
Weight Approx. 17.4 oz. / 495g (body only)
Working Temperature Range 32–104°F/0–40°C
Working Humidity 85% or less
- Speedlite 580EX II
- Speedlite 430EX II
- Speedlite 320EX
- Speedlite 270EX II
- Speedlite 220EX
- Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
- Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX
- Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2
- HDMI cable HTC-100
- Interface Cable IFC-130U (provided)
- Interface Cable IFC-200U
- Interface Cable IFC-500U
Battery & Battery Chargers
- Battery Pack LP-E10
- Battery Charger LC-E10
- AC Adapter Kit ACK-E10
- Eyecup Ef
- Rubber Frame Ef
- Dioptric Adjustment Lens E
- Eyepiece Extender EP-EX15II
- Angle Finder C
Original Data Security Kit OSK-E3